Sunday, March 15, 2009

Selection Sunday Boo-Yah!


Eleven years. The eleven year drought for Michigan basketball is finally over. But when you think about it...so what?

Everyone I've talked to says I'm an idiot for thinking this one lone thought: "I would rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the tournament."

Granted, now that Michigan is officially in the tourney as an 10 seed facing Clemson in the first round (which is winnable but more on that later) I take that thought back. I am much happier seeing the Maize and Blue back at the big dance, early exit or not, I'm glad they're in. After all the bullshit this team has been through since 1998, the Ellerbe Era, the Tommy Amaker years, the Fab Five Forfeiture, and the NIT Championship, they are finally back to playing at the level required to make it to the Dance.

That being said...do I think they'll beat Clemson? Yes, I think they will beat Clemson in the first round but only if they get stupidly hot from behind the arc, or they give Sims the workload and let him take over the paint a la what they did against Iowa in the Big Ten Tourney. If A or B don't happen then see you later, nice job making the dance and enjoy watching from Ann Arbor.

As for the brackets. I will have available a group on either ESPN or Yahoo for you to join, with more info on that coming tomorrow. Grand Prize will be the T-shirt of your choice from the Tobacco Juice Store.

After watching the selection show and seeing Louisville as a 1 seed I have to say the committee screwed the pooch. Sure, they won the Big East (widely considered the Jesus of college basketball) but after watching them a couple of times this season, they did not overly impress me and I don't think they are a Final Four team and will lose before the elite eight probably to Wake Forest. Oklahoma or Memphis deserve that 1 seed over Louisville with UNC or UConn as the overall #1 seed.

Hamilton disagrees and says Louisville deserves the spot. Aaron still thinks the Sparties should be a 1 seed but he hasn't watched more than five minutes of basketball all year long. Too busy being superman to watch hoops. Dad throws his two cents about the tournament saying, "Eh, I dunno, I have to do my research."

Well do your research Dad and have Aaron or Mom help make you a Yahoo account so you can join in our bracket contest.

I'll put up another post with all the information later on this evening so you can join us in the Tobacco Juice Pants Party bracketology challenge!



It's a great day for Michigan Basketball. Now don't screw it up.

No comments: