Thursday, April 24, 2008

LET'S DO THIS!!

For the first time since 2002, the Detroit Red Wings and the formerly hated Colorado Avalanche will face off in the playoffs for at least 4 games.

I say formerly hated because, well, it's safe to admit that the Wings/Avs rivalry isn't what it used to be. There was a time in Michigan where if someone even muttered the words avalanche, Colorado, Denver, Claude, or Lemeiux, there would be some sort of expletive following or preceding it (for example, "Claude Lemeiux? Fuck Claude Lemeiux!). What made it a great rivalry though was that fans on both sides hated the other team so much, like Michigan and Ohio State (if I'm on the highway, I refuse to let the Ohio car over, I just won't do it) or Red Sox/Yankees. I remember during a visit to my aunt's place in Denver back in 1998, driving around downtown Denver and seeing "Detroit Sucks" bumper stickers on EVERY public (city owned) bus. I don't know about you, but I love that kind of thing. My buddy Jeremy saw the hit on Kris Draper in 1996 by Claude Lemeiux and immediately fell in love with the Colorado Avalanche. "Dude, he made another guy eat through a straw for a couple of months! Thats awesome! Go Avs!" How he is still my friend, I have no idea.

What can we do to bring it all back? Well, someone, on either team, is gonna have to get absolutely wrecked. I want to see Holmstrom or Cleary or McCarty take a nice open ice shot at Adam Foote or that candy ass Petr Forsberg that doesn't really hurt him for life but makes him miss a few games. I'm talkin about a hit that borders on the gray area of suspension or no suspension. For the few of us that stayed with hockey after the lockout, (fuck Gary Bettman, but that's for another post down the road when I have nothing to write about) this rivalry is still very much alive. And for those who gave up on hockey (Dad) just watch this video...if it doesn't get the blood boilin, you better check your pulse.



Barry Melrose, up until today my favorite hockey commentator this side of Don Cherry, has the Avs winning this series in five games. Let me repeat that...Barry Melrose, the dude with the sweet ass mullet, picked the Avs to win in five games citing that "Jose Theodore, is the best goalie in the playoffs right now and the Wings can't beat that." Ok Barry, way to play to the crowd...best goalie in the playoffs my ass. The wonder kid Carey Price from Montreal takes that prize hands down...Jose Theodore...what a douche. The Free Press has some great playoff coverage with some good articles by Mitch Albom and a sweet "through the years photo gallery." For sure worth a look.

More to come later...Fuck Colorado

No comments: