Friday, May 16, 2008

Co-ed Slowpitch Softball Fever. CATCH IT!


I know, I know. The Live(ish) Blog idea from game four was a horrible idea and I will never, ever do it again.

That being said, I will be suspending myself from live blogging Red Wings games for exactly one night. That night is obviously tonight. It's not really a suspension, I just have a co-ed slowpitch softball game at 8 for team "Lookintheattic.com" in the Saline Rec League that I'm really overly jacked about. INTENSITY!!!!

No Mule for tonight's game as I pretty much expected. The lingering effects of a concussion are worse than any hangover you'll ever experience. You're basically miserable until it goes away, there's no magic cure. You can't just take a handful of Tylenol and go live your life. It's some nasty shit I'm tellin you.

In order to end this series tonight, the Wings must go back to basics. Control the puck, get traffic in front of Turco, play physical (ahem, Mr. Kronwall, Mr. Draper I'm talking to both of you), and play solid defensively. Upping the pressure on the forecheck would be great too. All of these things can be said for any hockey team to win, and are things I've picked up over the years so I can sometimes sound like I know what I'm talking about. And for the love of God would somebody take the leash off McCarty and let him go out and do something stupid? The Joe Louis Arena crowd would love to see it as well as the dozens and dozens of viewers at home. I'm hopeful that Dallas has run out of emotion after Wednesday's game because if they come out and out everything the Wings tonight like they did Wednesday...I don't even want to think about it.

The Tigers got swept by the Royals again. I'm not worrying about the Tigers and their season, I'm just more or less really really pissed off about it right now. Expectations will always rise when you open up the wallet like they did this off season and they are obviously not meeting those expectations, not by a long shot. Some sort of shakeup needs to happen before things get even uglier than they already are. The one player I can see as a possible negative clubhouse presence could possibly be Edgar Renteria. I don't have anyone on the inside telling me this but just when you look at his body language in the dugout and on the field it just doesn't look like he is enjoying himself at all with this team. Everyone else you can at least see smiling every once in a while but I cannot recall a time when I've seen Renteria with even the slightest grin on his face. The only issue is, I don't see any other team would take Renteria in a trade for a young shortstop. Ramon Santiago is a more than capable player as is Ryan Rayburn so maybe a trade for some starting pitching since the Tigers starting rotation is absolutely pitiful right now. Although some run support every now and then would probably result in more wins. The way to win a baseball game is to score more runs than your opponent...makes sense right? I don't know what needs to happen, but something needs to happen, and it needs to happen fast or I'm going to go into my 2003 depression mode and long for the days of Mike Maroth and Brian Mohler.

Well...at least we have the Red Wings.

Who's your Dot Com??

Ed. Note - I am a huge screwup and thought the game was tonight when it's really tomorrow at 1:30. I still won't be able to watch it because I have a funeral to go to so...um...yeah my bad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no blogs all weekend... WEAK...

Anonymous said...

so word from the top says that the mighty cole will be sitting the bench for at least one of the slow-pitch games this evening....hows it feel cole?